Click here for opening page    Welcome to WWW.MONIKIE.ORG.UK, from Scotland
Local InterestFamily History Items, FOR ALL!Newbigging Photos & 'Video'1000's of names of family history interest.Locally owned businessesLocal stories of days gone by, from W.D.C.Local Church Pages'Two-in-One' Church MagazineExtracts of historical interest from old books.Stirling AND Skirling surname interest & databaseContact the WebmasterMonikie War Memorial community hallThe Monikie Story - 'READ ALL ABOUT IT' - a book available from this website.A list of the pages on this site - pick some at random!Search THIS website, but read the advice first for best results.

Statistical Accounts for the Parish of Monikie
Years 1791-99, 1842 and 1950-68

MORE Statistical Accounts in TEXT form are currently in course of preparation.  These are the First for Glamis, Kinnettles and Inverarity.  If you have, or are willing to transcribe one or more please CONTACT the Webmaster.

Transcribed with page numbers from the original. Slight editing has taken place to allow for present day
publishing and webpage design - e.g. the original of the first document uses the letter 'f' in place of 's'.
The '£' monetary sign replaces the original 'L'. Most differences in spelling are unchanged. Some hyperlinks have been introduced.

The best way to find all references on THIS website is to use our SEARCH ENGINE.

What might be referred to as the most recent Statistical Account of the Monikie Parish is the book,
'THE MONIKIE STORY', by the late Rev. W. D. Chisholm, former minister of the parish.

Graphic representations of the pages of the Statistical Accounts for Scotland (c.1799 and c.1845) are
available on-line at http://edina.ed.ac.uk/statacc.

(Back to the Statistical Accounts Index Page.)

YEAR 1791 - 99  - Page 343 - NUMBER XLVII 

PARISH OF MONIKIE

(COUNTY OF FORFAR)

By the Rev. Mr WILLIAM MAULE.

Situation, Soil, Etc.

THIS parish is 6 English miles in length, and 4 in breadth.  Its form is almost triangular, one of the angles terminating in the sandy desart situated at the mouth of the Tay.  On the S.W. and W. it is bounded by the parishes of Monifieth and Murroes; on the S. E. by Barrie: on the E. by Panbride; on the N. by Carmyllie, and on the N. W. by Inverarity and Tealing - the face of the country is diversified by several large hills.  The soil and air are very various.  The S. part of the parish is distinguished for fertility.  In the N. and N. W. the soil is more moist, the air colder, and vegetation more slow; insomuch, that the in­habitants of the former have frequently their harvest gathered in a month or 5 weeks before those of the latter.  The interposition of a large hill, or ridge of hills, called Camustoun, or Dunie makes a considerable alteration in point of climate

344

AGRICULTURE. - The rent of the best land is from 5s. to 15s. the acre, but that of some of the worst has been recently 16s. 8d.  Of the best land, the leases are old, having been let about 23 years ago, most of them for twice 19 years, and a lifetime, the rent rising 1s. the acre at the 20th year.  At that period, little or nothing had been done in the way of improving land, and the tenants were in general poor; most of them are now in easy, some of them in opulent circumstances; they are in general frugal and industrious.  Of those farms, one which hap­pened to be let for only 19 years at £52 Sterling, and which consists of about 170 acres, was let again within these last 4 years at £120; and the present tenant being a skilful and industrious farmer, is likely to make more money than the former, who laboured in the old way

Were the leases of the other farms expired, they could all be let for more than twice the present rent.  In the southern part of this parish, the farms are for the most part inclosed.  Every farmer finding his account in breeding and fattening cattle, raises annually several acres of turnip.  Wheat has long been cultivated in the southern, and which is the most fertile part.  For the last 6 or 7 years, the farmers discontinued the sowing of this grain, several of them having met with considerable losses by blasting.  But they are now beginning to try it again, and have this year been successful.  Good artificial grass is also produced.  By an article in their tacks, most of the tenants are bound to have a third of their farms always in grass.  Much attention has of late years been paid to the raising of flax.  About 25 years ago, when a great proportion of the ground consisted of natural pasture, every farmer had a large flock of sheep.  At present, there are not in this parish above 2 or 3 who have sheep at all.  In the N. and N. W. parts of . .

345

. . of the parish there are large tracks of moor, formerly waste and uncultivated, covered wholly with heath, insomuch that a person might have travelled a considerable way without seeing any other vegetable.  At present those tracks contain plantations of thriving young wood

In a track of moor which forms the northern extremity of this parish, there are settled 15 or 16 families, who, by their industry, have rendered arable, and in some degree fertile, considerable spots of land formerly waste and barren.  The valued rent of the parish is £4,608- 6s-8d Scotch.  There are about 23 considerable farms, some of which consist of more than 200 acres.

POPULATION. - This parish contains 2 large villages, one of which having about 30, and the other 25 families, and 2 or 3 villages less populous.  According to Dr. Webster’s returns, the numbers were 1345.  The number in 1772 was 1033; at present it is 1278.  There is reason to believe that about the beginning and middle of this century, the parish was more populous.  The diminution of the number of people is owing to the union of farms: the farmers also employ fewer hands than formerly.  Many of the cottagers are exterminated.  Since commerce began to flourish, several manufacturers, who subsisted partly by agriculture, have gone to large towns.  The annual average of births for the last 10 years is 32.  The annual average during a period of 10 years subsequent to 1718, and during 10 years subsequent to 1742, appears from a well-kept register, to have been 41.  For some years past, the annual average of deaths has been about 19.  The number of marriages annually for 7 years past has not exceeded 13

346

CHURCH, STIPEND, SCHOOL AND POOR. - The church seems to have been built or renewed in 1678.  The manse and offices are at present somewhat ruinous.  The value of the living depending chiefly on victual is in different years different.  During the 7 years of the incumbent's ministry, the stipend, at an average, has been £115 Sterling a year.  The manse and glebe cannot be estimated, both together, at more than £10 or £12 Sterling.

The schoolmaster's income as schoolmaster, session clerk and precentor, is about £35 Sterling a year.  The number of scholars is from 40 to 50

The poor are in general well provided for.  None of them are reduced to the necessity of begging.  The number at present on the roll is 15.  The annual average of collections is about £23 or £24 Sterling.  There are of seat-rents belonging to the poor about £12, Sterling; and there is lying at interest at four-and-a-half per cent, £200 Sterling

MISCELLANEOUS OBSERVATIONS. - The roads in this parish at present are not in the best condition.  That from Dundee to Arbroath, which intersects the lower part of the parish, is in bad weather almost impassable.  There is a turnpike road begun to be made, which, though a mile farther south than the old road, yet being quite straight, will shorten the distance between these 2 towns.  About 7 years ago, a road was formed leading from Brechin to Dundee, and passing through the northern part of the parish.  Upon this road there was built about 5 years ago, a strong massy bridge, 55 feet high, with a single arch, over a precipice at Denfiend (Denfind), or the Fiend's den, a place deep and winding

Near the 8th milestone, E. from Dundee, there is a ridge of small hills, called the Cur-hills, where within these 14 . .

347

. . years several stone coffins have been found.  In the vicinity of the same place, were found upward of 6 feet below the surface of the earth, several trees, oak, fir and birch.  There were also found urns, covered with broad stones, below which were ashes, supposed to have been human bodies reduced to that state by burning.  To the south of the Cur-hills were found several heads of deer, and horns of a very large size, among marl, about 9 feet below the surface

Within these 3 or 4 years, there have been 5 or 6 large neat new houses, and several smaller ones built.  Every farmer almost has within these 10 years made some addition or improvement to his dwelling house, or to his of­fices.

There are 2 considerable inns in this parish, and se­veral petty ale-houses.  The consumption of spirituous liquors has within a few years greatly increased, the quality of the ale brewed in this part of the country being worse than formerly; yet the morals of the people seem to have suffered little by the change.  No business of any consequence can be transacted by the common people but in the ale-house.  But the vice of drunkenness, and the crime of theft, are in this and other parts of the country more rare than about 30 years ago, when the lower class of people having fewer objects to excite their industry, were more idle, and consequently more profligate

About 35 years ago, the wages of a ploughman were in this neighbourhood £2.10s. Sterling; of a carter £2: of a female servant from £1. 5s. to £1.10s.  At present a ploughman is thought good for nothing, who does not receive £7 or £8.  The usual wages of female servants are from £3 to £4.  About 30 or 40 years ago, a farm which is now worked by 3 ploughs, having each 4, sometimes only . .

348

. . 2 horses, employed 5 cattle ploughs, having each 10 oxen.  Farms where 2 ploughs drawn by 4 horses are now found sufficient, were formerly wrought by 3 ploughs drawn by 10 oxen

N.U.M

The best way to find all references on THIS website is to use our SEARCH ENGINE.

(Back to the Statistical Accounts Index Page.)

What might be referred to as the most recent Statistical Account of the Monikie Parish is the book,
'THE MONIKIE STORY', by Rev. W. D. Chisholm, former minister of the parish.

PAGE 485 - YEAR 1842

PARISH OF MONIKIE.

PRESBYTERY OF DUNDEE, SYNOD OF ANGUS AND MEARNS.

By the REV. JAMES MILLER, Minister.

 1. - TOPOGRAPHY AND NATURAL HISTORY.

Name. - It is supposed that the name MONIKIE is Gaelic, and composed of MONAH, signifying an upland moss or moor, and CEO, mist or fog, and so descriptive of the higher district of the parish, where the church and manse are situated.

Extent, etc. - The greatest extent of the parish from north-west to south-east is about 7 miles, and its breadth something more than 5.  It is bounded on the south by the parishes of Barry and Monifieth; on the west, by Murroes and Inverarity; on the north, by Guthrie and Carmylie: and on the east by Panbride.  Two ranges of hills, crossing the parish from east to west, divide it into three districts, very different as to soil and climate.  The first district, which lies to the south of the Downie hills, and slopes towards the estuary of the River Tay, is composed of a rich and productive soil lying upon gravel, or scurdy rock; and yields early crops of all kinds, and especially of wheat and barley.  The middle district, forming a valley between the two ranges of hills, is composed chiefly of thin black loam, on a bed of cold, wet till, very difficult to cultivate in season and producing inferior crops of everything except oats.  Being elevated about 300 feet above the level of the sea, the climate of this district is cold and damp during a great part of the year.  The third district, at an elevation of about 400 feet forms a swampy and moorish tract, extending along the northern boundary of the parish, thinly inhabited, and cultivated only in a very few places, and to very little advantage

Geology. - The greater part of the Downie hills is composed of a beautiful trap or whinstone, admirably adapted for building or making roads.  The range terminates on the west, in a quarry of excellent sandstone or freestone, which supplies an extensive district to the south.  The northern part of the parish contains a very valuable . .

486

. . bed of slate or pavement, which, from Ley's mill quarry on the estate of Kinblethmont, extends in a southerly direction, by Carmyllie, Smithfield, Wellbank, and Duntrune.  Beautiful specimens of agate, jasper, and spar, the produce of the trap, are found on the Downie hills, the tops of which are also ornamented with a great variety of plants.

II. - CIVIL HISTORY

Heritors of the Parish . – These are, Lord Panmure, Lord Douglas, Mr. Fyffe of Smithfield, Mr. Graham of Affleck, Mr. Kerr of Newbigging; none of whom are resident except Mr. Kerr, though all of them are very attentive to the best interests of the parish.

Antiquities. - In the list of antiquities may be reckoned a beautiful specimen of the old feudal castles, at Affleck, which, though long uninhabited, yet seems to be as entire as it has ever been.  It is said to serve as a mark to sailors on the neighbouring coast.  The foundation of another square tower or keep, of less dimensions, at Hyndcastle, on the northern boundary of the parish, situated on an artificial mound, which at one time must have been surrounded by water and a morass.  A tumulus, at the western extremity of the parish, called the Hair Cairn, similar to others, which are supposed to have been raised to commemorate some hostile encounter in former times.  An ornamented stone pillar, in the shape of a cross on the hill of Camustane, erected, it is said, to mark the spot where Camus, the Danish general, was slain, after his army had been defeated by Malcolm II, about the year 1020, and which seems to have put an end to the Danish invasion to the kingdom.

III. - POPULATION

According to Dr. Webster's tables, the population was 1345

Year
1772 – 1,033
1794 – 1,278
1811 – 1,293
1821 – 1,325
1831 – 1,322
1841 – 1,317
- Of whom 632 were males, and 685 females
The yearly average of Births for the last seven years was – 30
- Deaths – 20
- Marriages, as nearly as can be calculated – 10 
The number of families or inhabited houses - 300
Average number of children in each family – 3.25
The number of families chiefly employed in agriculture – 165
		- in manufactures, and chiefly weavers – 135

IV. – INDUSTRY

AGRICULTURE. - The number of acres under regular cultivation . .

487

. . may be stated at 4,448.  But what may be the annual produce, or value of the produce, either on an average, or in any given year, it would be very difficult to determine with any degree of accuracy.  About 500 acres are under wood, chiefly fir, but not thriving; and probably more than 1000 acres are in a state fit for being planted with advantage, but ought not to be attempted to be cultivated, especially in the present times.  The best land in this parish is held by industrious and opulent tenants, on life­rent leases, and at very low rents, and the very liberal proprietor, Lord Panmure, generally relets these farms, as they fall to the respectable sons of the former tenants, on very moderate terms.  The inferior land of the parish is generally let on twenty-one year leases at a rent of from 5s. to £1 per acre.  The tenantry, in general, are industrious and enterprising; and of late years have considerably improved both their farms and their fortunes, by following extensively the dairy system, and selling the milk and butter in the Dundee market.  The great demand for potatoes from the same quarter has encouraged the farmers in this district to cultivate this crop more extensively than usual.

V.- PAROCHIAL ECONOMY

ECCLESIASTICAL STATE. - The church is inconveniently situated within half a mile of the eastern boundary of the parish; built in 1812, and seated to hold about 900 persons.  It is in good repair, and comfortable, and generally well filled in ordinary weather.  The average number of communicants may be taken at 600.  The manse was built in 1794, and repaired and enlarged in 1827.  It is a good house.  The glebe consists of 6 acres of excellent land; and the stipend of 16 chalders of victual, (half meal and half barley,) and payable at the highest fiar’s prices of the county.

There has been in the south-west corner of this parish for many years a Dissenting Chapel, belonging to the United Associate Synod of Seceders, and supported by a congregation collected chiefly from the outskirts of this, and of the neighbouring parishes.  The minister's nominal salary is about £80, paid partly by the seat rents, and partly by the contributions of the members of the congregation.  The members of the Established Church and the Dissenters have cordially united for several years in supporting a Bible and Missionary Society, which distributes annually about £20 for the propagation of the Gospel at home and abroad.

EDUCATION. - There are three schools in the parish, in which . .

488

. . the ordinary branches of education are well taught; and attended, respectively, by an average of 60, 50, and 40 scholars during the winter.  The parochial schoolmaster has the maximum salary, and the usual legal accommodations.  The school-fees and other emoluments may amount to about £30 making his income nearly £65 a year, on average.  One of the teachers has a small endowment.

The people are not only alive to the benefits of education for their children, but have established three public libraries in the parish for their own improvement.  Their general character may be described as sober, industrious, intelligent, and regular in attending the ordinances of religion.  A lawsuit among them is a thing scarcely ever heard of.

POOR. - The average number of persons receiving parochial aid may be reckoned at between 12 and 15, according to the state of trade and employment.  They are supported at a yearly expense of somewhat more than £80, arising from the ordinary sources of collections, seat-rents, &c.  There are besides, at present, two lunatic paupers in the Dundee Asylum, who are maintained by the heritors assessing themselves for that purpose.  The poor, in general, are well attended to, and no begging is allowed in the parish.  It is of a piece with Lord Panmure's ordinary generous attention to the interests of his tenantry, that no person holding land of him is allowed to become a burden on the poor’s funds.  His Lordship's tenants have testified their grateful approbation of his kindness and generosity as a landlord, by erecting the “live and let live' testimonial on the hill of Cambustane, ornamenting the district, and publishing to at least six counties, their own comfort as associated with their master’s honour.

ALEHOUSES. - Three small public-houses are kept open for the accommodation of travellers passing through the parish; but few of the parishioners are found to frequent them.

MISCELLANEOUS OBSERVATIONS

There is reason to believe that in the last mentioned and in other respects considerable improvements have taken place since the writing of the last Statistical Account of this parish.  The land is certainly in a higher state of cultivation; new and improved modes of husbandry have been introduced; farm-houses and steadings are larger and more commodious; and the value of farm stocking has considerably increased, particularly by greater attention to the breed of horses and cattle, since the establishment of agricultural . .

489

. . societies.  The farmers are wisely giving up the pernicious and demoralising system of bothies, and returning to the old and better practice of employing respectable and industrious cottars, who take a greater interest in promoting their master’s benefit, and so securing their own comfort.

The general improvement in the arts is very sensibly observed in this district.  Articles of manufacture are better constructed, and the workman is better remunerated for his skill and labour.  In short, the general state of society seems to be growing better.  The people, we hope, are advancing in intelligence, industrious habits, and moral discipline.  And it is not unreasonable to expect, that, by the blessing of God on the present improved means of education, especially as respects religion, the young will be trained up to greater respectability and usefulness, and to higher Christian attainments; and that the general population will gradually become more distinguished for “whatsoever things are pure, and praiseworthy, and lovely, and of good report.”

YEAR 1842.

The best way to find all references on THIS website is to use our SEARCH ENGINE.

(Back to the Statistical Accounts Index Page.)

What might be referred to as the most recent Statistical Account of the Monikie Parish is the book,
'THE MONIKIE STORY', by Rev. W. D. Chisholm, former minister of the parish.

Chapter 44 - December 1950 - Revised August 1953 - Final revision August 1968 - Third Statistical Account of Scotland, The County of Angus, printed by the Herald Press, Arbroath 1977 edited by William Allen Illsley.

THE PARISH OF MONIKIE
by
Rev. Andrew Burt and the Rev. D. Chisholm

page 459

EXTENT AND FEATURES

The parish of Monikie is situated in southern Angus, its central point being nine miles northeast of Dundee.  It is roughly in the shape of a pear, tapering southward to within half a mile of the estuary of the Tay at Monifieth golf course and broadening out towards its northern border six miles inland.  The maximum breadth is five miles.  Monikie is bounded by the parishes of Carmyllie to the north east, Panbride to the east, Barry to the south east, Monifieth to the south west, Murroes to the west, and Inverarity to the north west.  The detached part of Guthrie parish at Kirkbuddo which formerly adjoined Monikie in the north was transferred to Inverarity by the Boundary Commissioners in 1891.  The area of Monikie parish is 8,869 acres.

Two low ranges of hills cross the parish from east to west, dividing it into three districts.  The most fertile district is to the south, near the sea.  The middle district, 300 or 400 feet above sea-level, has a colder and wetter subsoil than the first, but is occupied by some very productive and well cultivated farms.  And even on the 'riggin' to the north - 500 to 700 feet up - where the soil is shallower and fields more exposed, good crops have been grown in recent years.

POPULATION

During the nineteenth century the population remained fairly steadily between 1,300 and 1,400, a maximum of 1,460 being recorded in 1861.  The twentieth century witnessed a heavy fall.  The population at the 1931 census was 1,059.  By 1951 it was down to 908, but had increased slightly by 1961, the census figures then showing a total of 919 persons, of whom 460 were male and 459 female.

COMMUNICATIONS

The last special excursion passenger train ran through Monikie on 9 September 1967, just prior to the line being lifted altogether.  Originally opened in 1866 from Broughty Ferry to Forfar, the line was closed to passenger traffic in 1945, but was used for freight like seed potatoes and grain until 1967.  In its heyday, many passengers travelled on it, with cheap fares being offered for the round trip to Forfar, Arbroath and Broughty Ferry while agricultural goods and stones from the quarries formed the major part of the goods traffic.  The Dundee-Forfar bus route via Letham serves the west of the parish, while a Dundee-Monikie bus runs mainly for the convenience of commuters to the town, and  of school children.

page 460

In the 1960s, there are few households without a car.  It is almost a necessity.  In addition to the private car, most farms have a truck or trucks or Land-Rover for day-to-day running.  Both the side roads which are owned by the county council and the main roads are in excellent condition, but some access roads to farms leave much to be desired.  There is a tendency for rights of way once used and recognised, to fall into disuse and be forgotten.  Examples of this include the old Kirk Road from Downiebank and the roads through the Craigton.

PUBLIC SERVICES

An example of the rapid improvement in living conditions is the fact that in 1961 there were only two houses with paraffin oil lighting.  All the others were fully electric, there being no public mains gas supply in the parish.  A few houses use Calor (liquid petroleum) gas to supplement the electricity.  There is no public lighting in Newbigging village.  A new sewerage system running from Monikie Station down the main road and through Newbigging village was installed by the county council in 1966, and every house has mains water supply.  There are two reservoirs, one called Monikie in the centre of the parish and the other Crombie at the north east end, both belonging to the Corporation of Dundee.  They give employment to some seven or eight resident men.  The grounds of these water-works are the two local beauty spots and although now there are restrictions of access, permits are regularly granted to city Sunday Schools and other picnic parties in summer time, as well as to a company of the Boys' Brigade for camping, and quite a number of anglers enjoy a day's fishing from boats or from the banks of the ponds.  These ponds afford a gathering place for many geese and wild duck in the season.

HOUSING

There are two villages in the parish - one near Monikie former railway station and the other at Newbigging, two miles to the south.  Between 1918 and 1955 a number of houses was built.  Newbigging village has an almost equal number of older houses and modern council ones.  There is no marked overcrowding anywhere.  In the period 1956-66, ten new houses were built, including a police station on Pitairlie Hill and a new area of both county council and privately owned houses is planned for Monikie village.  In the same period, 1856-66, at least six old houses have been demolished.  Most houses and cottages have been extensively modernised.  The writer of the New Statistical Account says the farmers are wisely giving up the primitive and demoralising system of bothies and are returning to the older and better practice of employing cottars, but the bothy system has been a long time dying and there is still the old bothy to be found here and there.  A feature of the 1960s has been the uniting of what used to be two cottages into one, for use of farm workers.  About three quarters of the land of the parish is occupied by tenant farmers and is for the most part the property of the Harrison Trust.

FARMING AND OTHER INDUSTRIES

Monikie is a typical Angus parish in its type of farming, with its cattle and sheep, and growing such crops as oats, barley, winter wheat, potatoes, turnips, sugar beet and certain market vegetables like peas, cabbages, and  . .

page 461

 . . Brussels sprouts.  Work is becoming more and more mechanized.  Thus, combine harvesters are widely used.  There are no horses used now for work, although there are a very few Clydesdales and a few ponies kept in the parish.  Agricultural statistics for the parish as supplied by the Department of Agriculture for Scotland are as follows: tillage 3,953¼ acres; rotation grass 1,762½ acres; permanent grass 493 acres; rough grazing 518 acres.  Farm workers' wages follow the nationally agreed pattern.  Children still get the 'potato' holidays about October for the lifting season, but it is becoming more and more difficult to obtain casual labour, even from the town.

At Monikie, the mill after serving for a very short time about 1930 as a Farina Mill and after being used as a store during the Second World War, found new life in the 1960s and now houses the prosperous Panmure Trading Company which dries and stores grain.  Its lorries serve distilleries all over Scotland and an extension was built in 1966.  Both the quarry at Pitairlie and that at Wellbank Mains ceased working in 1915 and 1910 respectively, but since 1928, the Cunmont Quarry Company has been very busy quarrying the hill above Cunmont away and a constant stream of lorries conveys material for road making and so on from it to the surrounding district.  A number of men is employed, many of them living in the council houses in Newbigging.

Alongside the quarry, a cement firm set up a growing concern around 1965 employing several men.  Many young men from the parish travel into the town for apprenticeship and work in such concerns as engineering, garages, and textiles.  Many of the girls travel for work in offices, shops and works.  At the extreme border of the parish, there is the Panmure Estate with its gamekeepers, joiners, foresters and other workers.  In 1965, the BBC erected a television and VHF station and masts at Douglaswood, naming the station 'Forfar'.  This is on the same site as a radar station that was used in World War II.

SHOPS AND TRADESMEN

There is a shop at Monikie and one at Newbigging and both serve as sub-post offices.  In addition, numerous vans serve the community, including butchers, bakers, grocers, fishmongers and hardware merchants.  Coal too is brought and sold from lorries.  For a few years, a barber’s saloon went its rounds.  There are four joiners' businesses, and two garages.

CHURCHES

In 1900 there were three congregations in the parish: the Established Church at the KirktonThe Free, soon to be the United Free Church at the Craigton, and the United Presbyterian, soon to be also United Free Church at Newbigging, all with a minister.  The last named united with the former Monifieth Free Church at the Hillock in 1921 and became in 1929 the Monifieth North and Newbigging congregation of the Church of Scotland.  The Craigton U. F. Church was united with Monikie Parish Church in 1930: the building although for some years partly used for church purposes now being a poultry farm.  The site of Monikie Kirk has been a Christian settlement from the thirteenth century, having been founded from Arbroath Abbey.  The present church was built in 1810 but in 1900 the interior was altered and a stained glass window put in, in memory of the Rev. John Reid.   . .

page 462

The kirkyard, extended first about 1925 and then in 1965, contains some old tombstones and is under the care of the county council. Communion is celebrated twice a year, in May and October.  In 1967, Monikie Kirk - 400 members - and Monifieth North and Newbigging Church - 200 members - were linked under one minister.

EDUCATION

In the 1960s, there is a school at Monikie with a schoolmaster and an assistant teacher with about 55 pupils, as well as a well-appointed new school at Newbigging with a schoolmaster and two assistants and about 70 pupils.  The numbers of these primary school children vary from year to year and the whole situation is under review.  The children at about the age of 11-12 go to the various schools in the county, depending on their domicile, namely, Carnoustie, Arbroath, Forfar and the Grove Academy, Broughty Ferry.  Between the wars, a large number went to Dundee schools like Dundee High School and Morgan Academy, but now only a few travel to the fee-paying Dundee High School.

SOCIAL LIFE

A locally appointed committee assumes responsibility for the Public Memorial Hall, opened in 1921, but finds difficulty financially in keeping the building going.  It is used by local organisations for their meetings, functions and dances.  After the war, there was a marked falling away of 'local' concerts and entertainments like 'Bothy Nichts'.  There is a thriving W.R.I. and a Woman's Guild.  A Youth Club, sponsored by the County Education Committee and affiliated to the Scottish Association of Youth Clubs caters for the teenagers.  The Monikie Men's Club provides an evening's indoor carpet bowling and had the distinction of winning the Angus Federation cups outright in 1964.  In Newbigging, there is a good Social Club, meeting in the school.  A finely appointed Scout Headquarters was built in 1966 for the use of Brownies, Guides and Scouts.  Ladies of the Red Cross deliver parcels at Christmas time to old people.  A playing field was purchased and opened in Newbigging in 1964.  A church tennis club existed in Newbigging for some years.  The Young Farmers' Club attracts most of the young farmers.  During the war, the Royal Observer Corps manned a post below the Panmure Testimonial on a prominent site with a commanding view and the Corps still meets weekly.

MONUMENTS

The 'Live and Let Live' Testimonial, a round tower of solid masonry built in 1839 by a grateful tenantry to the memory of a generous proprietor of the Panmure Estate is a most prominent feature in the landscape.  Near it, in the woods, stands the Camus Stone, a Celtic cross with runic inscriptions.  According to tradition, it marks the burial place of Camus, a leader of the Danish invaders defeated by Malcolm II.  The Castle of Affleck or Auchinleck is in an excellent state of preservation and is in the care of the Ministry of Works.  It is in the form of a mediaeval border peel tower and is the only remaining example of several 'castles' in the parish such as those that once stood near the Kirkton, Pitairlie and Ardestie farms. On old Downie farm, there is a large circular grass-grown mound, which may have been the burying ground of ancient local chieftains.  On the farms of Ardestie and Carlungie, the remains of earth houses have been uncovered and are preserved.

page 463

WAY OF LIFE

With much greater mobility and with a higher standard of living, the old self-contained pattern of parish life has well-nigh broken down.  Of the farms, only two can be said to have remained in the hands of the one family for more than 75 years.  The number of parishioners born and bred and remaining in the parish has declined remarkably.  As the boundaries of the City of Dundee extend, Monikie parish is becoming more and more a commuter area.  Nearly all who have come to reside in the parish, part from the farm workers, are either retired people or persons with work in the town.  The sense of community is probably declining, yet travel and holidays abroad, the almost universal television and the increasing influx of people from other parts of the country and with varying backgrounds together are bound to widen and broaden the horizons and enrich the lives of those who live in the parish.

December 1950 - Revised August 1953 - Final revision August 1968.

The best way to find all references on THIS website is to use our SEARCH ENGINE.

(Back to the Statistical Accounts Index Page.)

What might be referred to as the most recent Statistical Account of the Monikie Parish is the book,
'THE MONIKIE STORY', by Rev. W. D. Chisholm, former minister of the parish.

LOCAL INTEREST ¤ FAMILY HISTORY INTEREST ¤ NEWBIGGING INTEREST ¤ ARLENE'S LISTS ¤ LOCAL BUSINESS ¤ 'DOWN THE AGES'
CHURCH PAGES ¤ CHURCH MAGAZINE ¤ OLD BOOK EXTRACTS ¤ STIRLING SURNAME ¤ MONIKIE MEMORIAL HALL ¤ 'THE MONIKIE STORY'
WEB PAGES LIST ¤ SEARCH THIS WEBSITE ¤ HOMEPAGE ¤ CONTACT & EMAIL

Please press the BACK BUTTON for your previous page.

The design and content of this page and website is the copyright of the webmaster (unless otherwise stated, freely surrendered, or in the public domain) and, where appropriate, may not be reproduced in any form without the permission of the webmaster.
This page was updated - 21 July, 2011